- Security Mesh™ was developed and introduced by AMICO in the late 1980s as a penetration barrier for use behind drywall finishes. The Security Mesh™ in combination with the patented Secura Clip™ fasteners create a system that designers and security professionals can count on to provide the highest levels of physical security.
- Since it was introduced in 1989 Security Mesh™ is now speciﬁed in virtually all federal, state and local Government buildings. This covers both ofﬁces and correction facilities. Security Mesh™ is speciﬁed by Homeland Security, the FBI, ATF, Treasury Department and the Department of Defense. Security Mesh is everywhere.
- AMICO’s patented Secura Clips™ complete the system. Secura Clip™ fasteners have a recessed center hole allowing the Tek screw to seat at the surface of the mesh and not create humps and bumps alerting intruders to the penetration barrier. Secura Clip™ fasteners provide over 68% more holding strength than standard screws alone.
- For best performance AMICO Secura Clip™ fasteners need to be used. Install clips to metal framing using bugle head self-tapping screws penetrating the framing member a minimum of 3/8-inch. With wood framing use 1-5/8-inch drywall screws allowing the fastener to penetrate framing a minimum of 1-1/2-inches. Standard spacing is 12-inches vertically per framing member for both vertical and horizontal surfaces.
- Gypsum finish is installed directly over Security Mesh™. No need for other materials for added intrusion protection. AMICO has supplied numerous projects requiring mesh to be attached to both sides of the framing members.
Security Mesh Selection
- AMICO offers Minimum, Medium, Maximum and Heavy Modified Super Max Security Mesh™ panels. The style of mesh can be determined by the overall level of security for the facility and other conditions such as response time by security or law enforcement.
|AMICO Security Mesh™||Weight per sq. ft.||Overall Thickness||Percent Open Area|
|ASM .75-9F HM||2.38 lbs.||.140"||63%|
|ASM .75-9F||1.71 lbs.||.120"||63%|
|ASM .50-13F||1.40 lbs.||.070"||57%|
|ASM 1.5-9F||1.11 lbs.||.110"||77%|
|ASM .75-13F||.75 lbs.||.070"||73%|
|ASM 1.5-13F||.57 lbs.||.070"||83%|
|ASM .50-16F||.82 lbs.||.048"||60%|
|ASM .75-16F||.51 lbs.||.048"||75%|
|ASM 1.0-16F||.41 lbs.||.048"||77%|
|ASM 1.5-16F||.38 lbs.||.048"||82%|
- Stud Spacing 16in (406.40mm) on center
- 24 Secura Clip™ fasteners per 4′ x 8′ (1,219.20mm x 2,438.40mm) panel
- Secura Clip™ fasteners spaced 12in (304.80mm ) vertically
NOTE: Both Panel Joint Details are Acceptable Methods
- Framing members should be no less than 20GA
- Security MeshTM panels may be installed with diamonds running in either direction
- It is preferred to have mesh joints either staggered as in detail “A” or butt joined as in detail “B”
- It is acceptable to overlap mesh joints with owners prior written approval
- Panels shall join on framing members
- If panels join in between framing members, in any direction, adjoining panels shall be tied with 18GA tie wire at the same frequency as clips or welding
- STEEL FRAMING APPLICATIONS Secura ClipTM fasteners are fastened to steel framing members with fine thread self-tapping bugle head self-tapping screws with a #8 shank long enough to penetrate the steel framing member at least 3/8”
- WOOD FRAMING APPLICATIONS Secura ClipTM fasteners are fastened to wood framing members with 1-5/8” fine thread #6 shank drywall screws
- On site, panels can be cut with a commercial nibbler, hand-held grinding with cutting wheel, circular saw with an abrasive or carbide tip blade, or cutting torch. When using grinding wheel and circular saw, anticipate sparks being emitted. It is not recommended to have panels sheared to size since each sheet will have numerous very sharp open diamonds creating transportation and jobsite hazards.
AMICO Secura Lath®
AMICO ASL is the physical barrier solution for plaster ceilings in correctional facilities. Introduced and first patented in 1997, AMICO ASL is a heavy-duty security lathing substrate for plaster ceilings that has no equal for penetration resistance. It is fabricated from 0.060-inch thick carbon steel that is expanded to form a diamond pattern much like that of diamond mesh lath.
- When plastered with Portland cement or high strength gypsum plaster, it provides a superior barrier to penetration
- ASL sheets are 27″ X 97″
- Kraft paper that is perforated and vinyl coated on one side is attached to Secura Lath®. The perforations and vinyl coating aid in curing the plaster. This paper also offers resistance and therefore affords better keying and economy of plaster.
- Made from one sheet of steel that will not unravel when cut and in fact requires up to 144 individual cuts to make a 2’ x 2’ hole.